Friday, July 11, 2008

Melody King - Ilayaraja does it again !



( Kallai irundhen - Uliyin Osai, Dhanyaa, Sriram Parthasarathy )

The last few days, I am hooked to the song above from the film - ULIYIN OSAI. Music is by Maestro Ilayaraja. Fantastic melody, though it has shades of IR's old songs.

Some of the songs that come to my mind when I listen to this song are:

Maancholai kiLidhaano - Film - Kizhakke Pogum Rayil

Maalaiyil Yaro - Film - Chathriyan

Both the songs above are masterpieces IMHO by Ilayaraja.

About this song: I think it is set to the raaga - Hindholam, though I am not 100% sure. Both Sriram and Dhanyaa ( who is she ? ) have done a good job, though I feel that Ilayaraja could have taken care of Dhanyaa's tamil pronunciation. I see shades of S.Janaki in Dhanyaa's voice.

Sriram Parthasarathy is amazing - He has a fantastic voice, well trained. Superb emotions and great pronunciation. I like the way he throws his voice...nice to listen to !

By the way - If you like Classical songs, ULIYIN OSAI is a must listen. All the songs are good. Please check them out.

5 comments:

Ganesh said...

NV this song has more shades of Suddha Dhanyasi
s g m p n s /s n p m g s

The chord progession follows Cminor.
(Cmin Eb Bb Gm)

Ganesh said...

NV Sir one more song thats similar to this one is
Maalayil Yaaro song from the movie Chatriyan.

Badri said...

ya ganesh is right sir. manjolai is hindolam. the other 2 are sudha danyaasi. sudha danyaasi is not too far from hindolam but there are some differences as ganesh has pointed. by the way how are you sir?

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Ganesh/Badri - Thanks for the clarifications. Yeah, Himagiri Dhanaye - Suddha Dhanyasi right..!

Badri - I am doing alright. Actually doing really good..thanks for asking...How are you my friend?

P.S. Suresh Kumar said...

'Kallai irundhai' instantly reminded me a song 'Unnai yethir parthaen' from a movie called 'Vanaja Girijia'.. the orchestration is similar