I couldn't watch this match today, but I am sure this guy is going to go places.
Ajantha Mendis, I read today, tore apart the famed Indian batting order winning the Asia cup Solo for Sri Lanka.
His analyis today - 8 Overs 1 Maiden 13 runs 6 wickets !!
His Victims - Sehwag, Raina, Yuvraj, Rohit Sharma, Irfan Pathan, RP.Singh.
I got goosebumps while I was reading his bowling highlights in CRICINFO.
- People of a certain vintage will most likely refer to him as a finger bowler.
- The ball was squeezed in the kind of grip Jack Iverson had, or for locals, similar to how you would strike the striker on a carrom board.
- On pitching and regaining its original shape again the ball would shoot through, with sharp spin either way, predictably leaving batsmen none the wiser.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni said later that he just couldn't be read at all.
- Mahela Jayawardene admitted he'd been bowled a couple of times facing Mendis.
- Kumar Sangakkarra spent an hour a day in the nets before the tournament keeping to Mendis, trying to pick up his variations.
- It's one thing, Jayawardene said, to read him from the hand, another altogether to then play him off the pitch.
PS - Let's not forget the great Jayasuriya for his 125 today ! This guy amazes me everytime he plays. 114 balls with 9 fours and 5 sixers for his 125 runs !!