Monday, June 02, 2008

No SSN , No Stimulus



I had a brief conversation with an IRS rep. on Friday ( after being on hold for 20 minutes ) about the Stimulus payment for my younger daughter who did not have a SSN.

I've been paying taxes using her Tax Identification Number, which was issued by IRS in-lieu of the SSN ( The last few years SSN's are not issued for spouses / kids ). The IRS took my taxes the last 8 years with my daughter's TIN but now, they can't pay the stimulus check since she doesn't have a valid SSN.

Prabhu
sent me a link yesterday which explains this pathetic situation. This is plain nonsense. I wish the AILA or some other organization here in the US takes this case up.

Personally, I am writing a letter to the Senators from the Bay Area explaining the situation. Let's see what happens.

2 comments:

Mahesh said...

I'm one of those who lost out since my wife doesn't have an SSN. Didn't know until I checked my bank account and realized I'm not gonna get it.

They could have made this clear. In fact I also received a letter in the mail mentioning the stimulus payment.This again could have been avoided.

Many people already made plans or even shopped in anticipation. :(

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Hmm...Yeah, I feel sad for you Mahesh. Don't forget to claim it this year end with your tax return. That's what IRS told me.