Wednesday, March 23, 2005

First years in America


Though still a CDLA (Confused Desi Living in America) these thoughts bring back a laugh in my heart..and sometimes also in my lips and eyes.!

Thought I'll share it. Remember folks, these happened in 1993/1994, when awareness wasn't as much as today (IMHO).

1. Landing in JFK NewYork , ordering a Veggie-soup ( not sure what else to eat / couldn't understand the English ) only to realize that Fish is considered Vegetarian. Yuk..!!

2. Going to a restaurant to order food and when asked ' For here or to Go ?' thinking/Blinking and saying ....'I'll eat here and Go'.

3. Asking my Lady Boss for 'Rubber' ( meaning eraser ) .....shocking / surprising her.

4. Going to a bar and asking for veggie-snacks. The waitress asked ' So you are a Vegetarian....You don't eat Pussy'...and I replied...'No...No....we don't eat CATS in India.!'

5. Complimenting a lady as 'YOU TOO', when she looked at my daughter and said 'She looks Pretty'.

6. Asking a lady for her name...and commenting..'No..No..I am asking your name..!' .when she said 'Miss. Thin'. ( Actually she was a fat lady).

14 comments:

Adaengappa !! said...

Oh yeah..Being like a "Bekku" in a new place and till time you get adjusted..the experiences are really funny.I heard this from my akka.A desi couple was at car purchase and the lady asked the sales man to show the DICKY of the car..Guess the expression of the sales man..LOL..

Adaengappa !! said...

I go by Elevator and not by Lift.
And remembering the Rhyme 24/7 :"Please and Thankyou..They are the magic words"..Hmm..i need to scratch my grey cells & post later..
Your post was real funny though:)

Kay said...

'I'll eat here and Go'

very funny...

Murali said...

Hi,
ellame nalla comical-a thaan irukku...but as Uday sed, antha "YOU TOO" konjam too much thaan...ille three much ;)

Hey BTW fish vegetarian-a?? eh??
Appo how do those peopls classify veg and non veg??

Twin-Gemini said...

Yeah, the "I'll eat here and go part" is really funny. Everybody goes through such things.

During my college internship, I was once chatting with my lady boss about my wallet, and I referred to it as a purse and she gave me a quite a stare :-)

Me said...

LOL :)

che sara sara said...

ROFTL ;-)

che sara sara said...

nice to see an ex - MCCian...the MCC spirit brought me here...last saturday was Heber Hall day...OMERTA...show down was damn good....heavey metal n Jazz...MCC is the college....
i enjoy every moment...
so u were in stats....gr8 the Science block...i am in Chemistry....

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Venkat,
Interesting, and funny.!!

So what were you thinking? when she asked 'Paper or Plastic'?

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Jagan - Yours was really funny...Especially the ones about the gas.

Sophia, thanks for stopping by.! Yes I did stats 78-83. Great days in MCC...When did you finish.?

Adaeyengappa - good one elevator lift, thank you! truck/lorry..etc..etc..!
and the dicky story was very funny..!
Twin-Gemini - Wallet? Purse? ..???I am still a tube-light.!

che sara sara said...

i am still at MCC...not studing..but teaching

OJ_Audet @ HotMail.com said...

"You don't eat pussy"?
Was the bar in fact a strip club? In my 54 years, I've never heard a regular waitress use the word, but I'm returning to Chennai soon and hope for a change. Actually, I've never been served by a female waitress in India.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Sophia,
Really...Umm..The next time I visit I'll stop by to say Hi.!!

Yardboy- Thanks for stopping by.
I didn't know what it meant..until someone told me the next day while I explained the episode.!

It was a regular bar. The guy who went with me was a regular and he knew the waitresses.!!

Good Luck with your chennai return and as far as I know..there are no female waitresses in Chennai.

Twin-Gemini said...

Mr.Narayanan
Wallet is used by men and Purses by women in the US, whereas in our place, both are referred as a purse (although now people are using these terms).

Another funny incident that I just got reminded while re-reading the comments:
One of my friend told the Dean at the University that he looked sick in front of others in a meeting (the Dean was feeling a bit sick). Later the Dean took him aside and told him that he said something that he really didnt intend to :-)