Friday, March 11, 2005

Cholesterol , Triglycerides etc.

Tryglicerides, High levels of Bad Cholesterol, Low levels of Good cholesterol, Blood pressure.

These are some of the common problems I hear when I meet with people from India these days.

That includes me as well. I have done quite a bit of research ( being a Virgo ) and come up with some ideas ( which I try to follow ) that I thought I'd share with you.

Check your Blood levels periodically.
Ensure that the HDL / LDL ratio is good.
Ensure that the TGL level is around 100 ( used to be 150 until sometime back).
Check the sugar levels as well. I read that Diabetes cases are on the rise.
Check the Uric acid level in the Blood ( This is a common problem now among Asian Indians - If the level goes higher than the limit, you'll get joint pains ( a condition called GOUT - I suffer from occasional attacks of GOUT).

Here are some tips to maintain healthy Cholesterol levels:

1. Get out of that couch..and do some form of exercise everyday. Atleast 45 minutes. I walk 30 minutes, Stationary bike 20 mins ( meditating - I do TM). Sauna 15 minutes.
2. Increase your fiber intake. Fenugreek is an excellent soluble fiber. Take one spoon (powder) with water at night.
3. Avoid White rice ( especially you S.Indians). Substitute brown rice...or atleast 50-50 white and brown.
4. Try Quinoa, it tastes good ( mix 75% with 25% Rava and try making Upma with Veggies).
5. Try Bulgar Wheat Upma ( Like above but 50-50 with Rava).
6. Try to eat Salads before each meal.
7. Avoid / limit fried items, sweets, oils.
8. Use Low fat varieties of Milk / Milk products.
9. Try to incorporate grains like Spelt, Millet etc. into your diet. Check out recipies in the net.
10. Cut down on red meat and limit white meat as well.
11. Drink lots of water.

12 Avoid / limit alcohol consumption.


As usual here is some info from The trusted source


You only live once. Live healthy, stay fit.

No comments: