What I knew about MSG until today
- MSG Mono Sodium Glutamate
- Flavor enhancer
- Not good for health
- Might cause cancer
- It is also known as Ajinomoto ( Why?)
What I read today in Wall Street Journal
- MSG was first manufactured by the company Ajinomoto in 1909
- It is made through a complex process that involves fermenting corn glucose and other raw materials.
- Today, an estimated 95,000 metric tons of MSG are sold in North America each year, according to Ajinomoto.
- It appears in everything from some McDonald's sausage and chicken meals to supermarket items like Campbell's soup, Doritos chips and Kraft macaroni and cheese.
- In fact, many studies have found that MSG doesn't cause ill effects. "I don't see normal amounts of MSG as posing a risk to the vast majority of people," says Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a Washington food-safety advocacy group.