Sunday, April 24, 2005

Life in Riyadh

This is a multi-part series about my life in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I worked there in the early 1990's as a Software Consultant. My project lasted 3 months thanks to my running away to India, unable to bear the experiences I had there.

Dabab Street is the name of a major road in Riyadh, which hosts a lot of businesses. My office and my apartment were in Dabab Street.

It might be 2005 now, but from what I hear and read, things are pretty much the same (What do you expect?)

The SAUDIA flight took off from Bombay. It was around 8.00 PM. It was the first time I ever heard a stewardess announce that we'll be praying. Yes folks, Prayer before the flight.Have you heard of any other airline doing it ?

Anyways, The plane landed safely (God answered our prayers?) in Riyadh Airport ( King ..some airport). It was like Taj Mahal. I've not seen a better airport in the world. All Marbles, Granite etc. Neat and quiet. The plane load of Desis got out and walked towards Immigration.

It was my turn...!

The immigration official looked at me, my passport and my Immigration documents.

He - Where are you from ?
Me - India.
He - What are you going to do here ?
Me - Software Consultant.
He - Hindu ?
Me - Yes.

He passed a book to me , titled ISLAM and said 'Read'. I picked it up and nodded my head saying 'Sure'. He then gave me my passport and documents and said 'Go!'.

The first experience baffled me though I had been briefed a little bit about Riyadh by some friends.

This was only the beginning..! How would I know that soon, I'd begin to hate my life in Riyadh.!!

(...More Nightmares to follow)

15 comments:

Kay said...

Neengal ulagam sutrum vaaaliban'nu nenaikiren. Pala country'hal poi irukeeenga.

I am sorry about ur experiences in Riyadh, aaaana now you are in a better country, better than any country in the world. :)

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Vaaliban - Yes Manadhil..!! Udalil..illai!!

But to your point - IMHO....America is the best country in the world!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah..Naanum ippo indiavukku Kuwait airways la book panni iruken..munnadiye Theriyama pochu..I was checking the inflight entertainments..adhula..kalaila 5 am kuran, appuram middle eastern songs...Ennatha panraanugalo..Wish i had booked in my dear AIR INDIA or in some european airlines..huh..

Prabhu

Ram C said...

உமது அனுபவத்தின் அடுத்த பகுதிக்கு ஆவலுடன் காத்திருக்கிறோம்

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Prabhu - Enjoy..!!! Have a safe trip.!!

Ram. C - Sure..!!

Anonymous said...

Man..
Is that true..? Good atleast you were not whipped.. guess saudi is harsh!!

Twin-Gemini said...

Handing a religious book to someone following a different religion is something that I find very offensive.
And Mr. Narayanan, I dont quite agree with your opinion that America is the best country in the world. It is perhaps one of the best country comfort-wise, infrastructure-wise or when value of life is considered, but otherwise this is not a good country to live in. I wouldnt be here but for the money or the above mentioned reasons.

Ganesh said...

venkat
Interesting, I havent worked there, but I did do 2month official visit to DUbai in 2003 for international financial meeting(I am not economist,but software support :)) it was some eye opener.
Met lot of indians, mallus mainly and also plenty of desi Girls ;)
but do indians get a proper treatment now thats a different story altogether, anyway looking forward to read more about your experiences

PVS said...

This is an interesting post. Never heard about prayers in a flight before. Giving you a book on Islam might not have been meant as forcing you to join Islam. I think it is for a better understanding of Islam so that you can live in peace without offending your Islamic neighbours.

Amrita said...

I do not understand why these Saudi countries are so fundamentalist in practicing their religion. Personally as a person I am fairly secular, but I detest any kind of imposed religion on anyone, be it by slamic nations or the Bajrang Dal people in India. Sorry to hear about your experience in Riyadh, Narayanan,but don't worry you are definitely in a better condition now. So God indeed answered your prayers...didn't he?

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Prabz, Please wait..for further nightmares.!!

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Twin-Gemini.
So what else do you want from living here in the US? Wondering why you said that.?

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Kkirukkan, In the US ( not sure about the rest of the world) Indians have a good respect.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

PVS, I didn't mean it that way, but to get it from an immigration official...!! Why not have a seperate dept. to do all this propaganda work?

Narayanan Venkitu said...

God did answer my prayers, I am doing fine...I don't like people forcing their ideas, be it christianity too. I had such an experience here a few months back.!!