Monday, March 21, 2005

Tamil Film song - Thoughts

My wife and my daughter call me Old school when I listen to Slow / Sentimental songs.

I have to agree to that but, sorry... I would prefer to listen to slow / Sentimental songs anyday, rather than the fast numbers.

Now to the point:

I was listening to the Magic voice of Hariharan from a new Tamil film "ADAIKKALAM", Music by Sabesh-Murali.

The song starts like this - " Vilakku onnu anayum podhu - Veedu Mattum Irulgiradhu ". ( Transalates roughly to - If the light goes off your home becomes dark" ).

Its a song about the mother / woman. I love Hari's voice, tune and the lyrics, but was a little surprised at the following line.

' Petha thayaval Sethu Ponal - Motha Ulagamum Irulgiradhu '. ( Transalates roughly, to " Your world becomes dark when your Mother passes away " )

I am not sure if I know of any other song where the word 'Sethu pohdhal ( as in dying)" is used. Wonder why the lyricist preferred to use this word rather than 'Erandhu' or 'Maraindhu' ( though this word is used in a later stanza in the same song').

If you get a chance listen to the song .

By the way some of my favorite songs:

Country Music
One boy , One girl - By Collin Raye.
I miss you a little - By John Michael Montgomery.

Hindi
Mere Naina Savan Bhado - Kishore Kumar.
Manzile apni Jehan Pe - Kishore Kumar.
Tu Mile Dhil khile - Hariharan.

Malayalam
Kaliveedurangi alloh - Yesudoss - Film - Deshadanam.
Paadam Namukku Padam - Yesudoss - film - Unknown.

Telugu

Sagara Sangamam - Mouna Maita neram?? SPB.

Tamil
Pogudhae Pogudhae - Kadal Ora kavidaigal - SPB.
Nilavae Ennidam - (Ramu) - PB Srinivas.
Pirakkum podhum azhugindarai - Chandra Babu.
Amma endrazhaikkadha - Yesudoss.

Thousands in this list - I'll stop here.

9 comments:

saranyan r said...

Sethu Podhal isn't an apt word, I agree with you. the lyricist could have used a better one.

Nilave ennidam mayangadhe is an amazing song. I have it and I simply love the lyrics.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Saranyan,
That's what I thought as well. Our modern day Pulavar's ...what to say about some of them!!

I am glad you like the song Nilvae ennidam. Its a great song. Great lyrics like you said..and great voice as well..with a wonderful and simple tune.

Harish said...

Kadal Ora Kavithaigal reinforces my view that Raja is a genius! its sad that many of my friends dont even know such a movie exists.

Another reason I love that movie is coz Rekha (the other Rekha.) was our neighbour's relative.. and she visited them almost every other weekend !!

Harish said...

Kadal Ora Kavithaigal reinforces my view that Raja is a genius! its sad that many of my friends dont even know such a movie exists.

Another reason I love that movie is coz Rekha (the other Rekha.) was our neighbour's relative.. and she visited them almost every other weekend !!

Harish said...

sorry for the double post and this!!

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Harish,
No problems. Thanks.
Ilayaraja is great. And like you mentioned "KOK" has wonderful songs.

I watch Sapthaswarangal every week in SUN TV. 99% of the songs sung there are Raja's songs. So..there you see..!

Rehka was a talented actress. Wonder what she is doing now?

Me said...

Venkitu:

I found this link in your page "For Parents with kids "

Kids irundha dhane sir parents ;)

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Me - Very Very funny...Thanks for mentioning.!! It never came to my mind.!!

Did you see that I made you all "MY MENTORS". This is exactly why I call you so.!!

Thank you

Anonymous said...

Venkitu,

I do not find anything wrong in using that word as long as it is in Tamil Vocabulary and colloquial.
Why does it disturbs u?

Another song for your reference is in," vanagiya Vanga" sung by Anuratha recently. I do not remember now.Shall refer to u later