Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Handwriting no, Microsoft Word...Yes..!

My daughter goes to primary school grade-5 here in the US. I like the school, the education standards, the teaching techniques etc.

I was working with my daughter on her Project yesterday ( She gathered info about Alabama State, from the NET and had some display boards. She also printed about 10 pages of information in the Printer).

When I asked her why she printed the details, she handed me a note from the teacher. It said that if she typed the report out in the computer she would get 5 extra points. I thought, they should give 5 points if they wrote neatly in hand.

That said, I feel that they really don't care about handwriting in the US schools. My friends say, it used to be different during the 70's and 80's.

I am not sure how it is in other parts of the World, but the NET has a lot of impact starting from the primary school education in the US.

I am not sure if this is good or bad.. but I remember the days in Corley High School Tambaram, when I used to get beatings on my knuckles if my handwriting wasn't good...!

6 comments:

saranyan r said...

it depends. If you still have some classes that encourage writing, then its fine. else its a big problem. its like introducing calculators for KG kids.

Amrita said...

This handwriting thing reminds me of the cursive writing textbooks which we strenously practiced when we were in prep.

Anonymous said...

What about us adults. I find it so hard to write one page in longhand. I do not know if I am capable of writing Tamil without mistakes now. I have not written any document by hand in the last few years. Maybe I should enroll in some writing lessons myself.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Dear Anonymous,

Its practice ( Sitharamum Kaippazhakkam - Senthamizum Nah pazhakkam ) I find it difficult at times too..so don't worry you are not the only person.

But I am worried about the schools giving less importance to Handwritig ( Here in the US)..not sure about how it is in the other parts of the world.

Ram.K said...

Your comment made me to remmeber my experience with that school.


Thanks for remembering corley school. I am also a old student from there.

Unknown said...

I was just googling for corley high school, and look what I found! Two ex-students! I am from the 1975 SSLC batch of that school.