Saturday, June 28, 2008

Field Marshal - Sam Manekshaw passes away

Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw
1914 - 2008
(Photo courtesy: The Web)

Field Marshal Mr. Sam Manekshaw is no more. I felt very sad to read about his death today.

I have good memories of reading about Mr.Manekshaw during my High School Indian History classes.

The India I know of, doesn't respect Men in Uniform. They are easily forgotten and are only honored in History books. I am not the only one who feels that way, I learnt. I listened /watched a recent show in NDTV where there was a debate on this issue.

Countless lives are lost everyday on the borders. How many died during the Kargil war? How many during the other wars. How about the IPKF ?

How many War memorials do we have in India? What is the biggest one and where is it? We have memorials for our politicians everywhere ! Please tell me, do we have a holiday honoring the soldiers ? Why not ? When we have holidays for politicians' death anniversaries !

I remember a dialogue in 'Kandukondein Kandukondein' where actor Mamooty laments that no one came to welcome the soldiers home after the IPKF mission.

Anyways

I pray to god for Mr.Manekshaw's soul to rest in peace.

No comments: