Monday, May 02, 2005

Sleep and Bananas

I read an interesting article on sleep patterns while I was at the local Barnes and Noble store last evening. The name of the magazine that carried this article is UTNE.

The article spoke about the importance of sleep and the problems due to lack of sleep ( a major problem here in the United States of America). It also carried some suggestions to improve sleep.

Here are a few which got into my head and made me think.

No hot showers before hitting the bed.
  • I always thought a warm / hot shower will help us to fall asleep. But the article says that the body temperature has to fall to go to sleep. So a warm shower is a no..no.
Eat a Banana before hitting the bed.
  • This is amazing. In America, banana is considered a breakfast food. But in India, bananas are eaten mostly in the evening just before retiring to bed.
Try some milk before hitting the bed.
  • This is quite common everywhere but I didn't know that milk can help one to fall asleep.

I did some research and found that banana and milk have a chemical called Tryptophan that does the trick. As I browsed I also read this and realized that banana is indeed an amazing fruit!


So, the next time when you don't feel sleepy in the nights, why not GO BANANAS!

20 comments:

saranyan r said...

a really heavy meal and sleep immediately...thats what I like :)

for me even tea can put me to sleep :)

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Saranyan,
You are too lucky.!!
Touch wood.

Me said...

used to eat banana and drink milk before sleep when i was in india now lost that habit.

the time i go to bed is 3:30 or 4 and i switch on the TV and go to sleep in 5 mts

Dante said...

Thanx for the link on the best fruits/vegetables. I feel healthier just reading it!

Ram C said...

Along with a banana, I think you are taking BLOGGING also as a course before sleep.

the way messages are churned out in your blog, makes me to think like that....

good..carry on..I like it.

Venky Krishnamoorthy said...

I always read a book or browse before goind to bed. It helps me have a peaceful sleep.

I prefer not having a full stomach when you go to bed.

GS said...

didnt really know bananas had this great an effect. interesting.

REFLEX said...

how abt the other side. I feel sleepy in office ;). What to eat to avoid that.

Twin-Gemini said...

A good lunch on a weekend afternoon is good enough to put me to a deep slumber! :-)

Kaps said...

If I don't get sleep ....I switch on SUN TV.....all my sleeping problems get resolved immediately.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Me - 3.30 / 4.00 Until then what do you do..?? Just wondering.!! Enna kekkarthukku yaarum illayah? Umm.!

Narayanan Venkitu said...

g-the-g - Glad you liked it. I liked the part were they spoke about Mangoes.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

ram - I am taking the hint.! Sleepy blog ...I got it.!!

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Venky, You are the best, I try to go to bed almost empty. I mean I eat atleast 2/3 hours before I go to bed. (Doctor recommended).

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Gayathri,
Check it out and let me know if it works.!

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Venkat - enna neenga seriyana Pazhama irukkenga...vazhappazham mattum dhanah pazham?

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Reflex,
I have a good remedy.

Start working.!

Narayanan Venkitu said...

TG - Especially if it is Indian Food isn't it.? I don't feel sleepy if I eat salads.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Kaps - ROFL ;) Good idea.!! but with earplugs.!!

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Jagan,
Exactly.!

Actually yesterday while I was posting this, I thought that I should add a line about this Paalum /pazhamumum incident. But thought I'd leave it.!

I wonder why? Maybe they wanted them to sleep. ( Me too in this list).