Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Microwave Idlis for dinner today?

I am a big fan of "Idli" the traditional South Indian Breakfast/Last/dinner, whenever you want food. Here are some details on IDLIS.

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, these are also known as "Steamed rice cakes". You can see them in the menu of most Indian Restaurants.

Wondering how to make idlis ? Checkout the tons of recipes here.

The dough making and the steaming process are a little difficult. You can avoid making the dough by buying it from Indian Grocery Stores. But, what about steaming? You'll need a special vessel to do it.

But..Wait!..don't panic. Look at this picture.!




Yes, This is a Microwavable Idli maker. Looks like you have to just pour the dough in the slots, close it, microwave it and wait for a few minutes for those Yummy Hot idlis. Cleaning should be easy too, just drop it in the dishwasher. Wondering if anyone of you has already used it?

I saw this IDLI maker while I went out to VIK's for Lunch. Sells for 9.99$ here.

Check it out.!!

13 comments:

Me said...

I am waiting for someone to tell me whether it is useful??

Twin-Gemini said...

I brought the Idly Pressure Cooker last time I went to Madras. But hardly ever used it.

Right next to my apt. is a desi shop that sells Dosa and Idly Batter. So I make dosas whenever I feel like eating them.

PVS said...

I have a microwave idli pan at home. It is pretty useful. Only drawback is that the idlis become a bit dry at the top.

Adaengappa !! said...

Idlyaa....is that the one which is white in color n round in shape...Marandhu pochungga..Namma NY pulliyar kovil la oru thadavai saapitu irukken..Hmm..

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Me,
Same here...Looks like Adeyangappa has a different version.

Twin-gemini - In the Bay Area we have a brand called 'Shasta' Its awesome!

PVS - Your comment is the bench mark for us, about Microwave idlis so far.

Adaeyengappa - I think this is all for you.! Why not check it out my friend.?

The Last Blogger said...

I should try that sometime. Seems a nifty little thing to have.

By the way, I tried sending the invite to you and the email bounced back.Any other id I can use ?

Me said...

Blogrolled u. Hope its fine.

PVS said...

hi Jaganlee, these microwave idlies are soft. Only problem is the surface dries quickly. I had got this pan when I had been to India last time. Cost was Rs.250 and can make 8 idlis at a time. Time taken is 6 mins.

Chakra said...

aiyoh.. ellarum ipdi idli fans aa irukaangale..

i am a big time idli hater.. if interested, rea this.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Looks live everyone enjoys Idli's other than our friend Chakra.

By the way, folks, I am sorry about the email error. Not sure why Yahoo did that.

I'll modify the settings today.

"Last Blogger" Please send me the invite FYI my email id...for quick ref. VenkituNarayanan@sbcglobal.net

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Me,
No problems, please do.
Thank you

uKNOWit said...

i have used this IDLI makes earlier. they turn out pretty good. can you please t ell me where did you see the Microwave idli maker for $9.99. i am looking to but one.
thanks

Mihir said...

Is anybody from UK (Scotland) can some one throw some light on where can i get a microwave idli maker... or any bright ideas to use them ...

i have GITS packs for idli mix ... and just need to stick it in oven... but dont know how to ... tried it once and it was like hard rock ... instead of an idli ...

thanks and cheers!!

Mihir Sangani